Well here are some representative shots. If you look over the catalog that brad posted you'll see that this is by no means a partial collection. It's all here. The previous owner insisted that whoever took them take it all and not split things up. I understood why, because this is probably the ONLY complete "The Porter" line shaft driven lathes in existence. They should go to a museum. Problem is, a museum wants me to donate them and then pay for their restoration and setup. It's hard to be a Christian in the face of those conversations. Like AbG said, OWWM is where people hang out who like this sort of stuff, but they WILL NOT TALK TO ANYONE east of the moon or west of the sun. It's a midwest, eastcoast sort of operation. As far as these go, if you take one,(either the 16 or the 24) you must take it all. OK? I'm not just sending the Head and Tailstocks without all the other stuff. The timber beds are of course excepted. They are going to be resawn and planed and have Telecasters made out of them. If the lathe parts stay together in the world and you tire of the dream, they MIGHT end up somewhere in operation. Kinda like what happens to all the Stadium Stuff from Altec. You get a piece here and a piece there. I don't want that to happen, this is the whole magilla. If you examine the catalog and the pictures and only want a flat plate drive headstock and a tailstock, think about it......two pair of pillow blocks, a little machine work, a horse and a half three phase motor, a 3phase motor driven inverter and a VFD will put you in business to turn horns and horn parts to your heart's content.
Strange world.
Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.
More to come:
Tilt your head to the right, you'll see one of the long tool rests
![]()
Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.
Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.
There is a process called spooging, or reduction by elecrolysis, so that you can make all these rusty parts shiny and new without much work. The car guys and especially the folks at OWWM have hundreds of posts on how to do it.
This is a scientific source of information:
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/crl/conserv...al/File10a.htm
Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.
Wonder if Jeffery at Eleven Horns could use these? He makes big, round horns.
But he's all the way over in Tennessee.
elevenhorns.com/welcome
A brass brush and little oil of wintergreen can go a long way.There is a process called spooging, or reduction by elecrolysis, so that you can make all these rusty parts shiny and new without much work.
Looks like the cast parts probably have good nickel content and are fairly oxidation free.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
"[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]
[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.
Bookmarks